Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How Pinoy Politicians Speak


In the Philippines, politicians came from more varied fields than anywhere in the world. In other countries, the politicians are still usually lawyers and economists just like before in the Philippines. Since 1986 until at present, Philippine politics became crowded with people from different professions: military, showbiz, media, Church, sports, and many others.  Although their politician’s coat changes their appearance, their tongues often betray them to the public with regard to their previous professions.  
For you to have an idea, just imagine these politicians (neophyte and old-timers) speaking their lines and you’ll know what Juan Kukute is talking about:
Congressman-elect Manny Pacquiao (in a House deliberation):
“Mr. Speaker, I say we can’t easily knock out that proposed bill. The bill from this House and its counterpart in the Senate is a good match up. If the loss is due to technical decision, I believe we can still box our way out of this and engage in another round of deliberation. There’s still too much angle to use. To be honest, I’m slighted and insulted by the verbal jabs being thrown at me by some of our colleagues from this House. It’s a low blow Mr. Speaker and not fitting to the stature we honorably protect. I’m not promoting myself, but I feel like I’m the underdog here. I don’t need the cheers, the upper cuts on budget, or be hooked up with the right people here. Mr. Speaker, I just do my best to make my people happy. You know!”
Congresswoman-elect Lanie Mercado (speaking in a heated House Committee hearing):
“I’m not acting Mr. Chairman. I play my role mandated by law and my constituents. Do not cut me off like that again. If you’ll ask me Mr. Chairman, I can compare this committee hearing to a scene poorly directed. We have a very bad casting here Mr. Chairman. I tell you, this will flop.”       
 Outgoing Senator Rodolfo Biazon (in a political party meeting):
“Very strategic. Our position is secured. I suggest the mapping out of all possible scenarios. There may be a heightened public resistance on the issue. While we should not appear defensive, I suggest that we attack this subject with utmost caution. We might reinforce it with effective counterattacks once the other side stock up their legal arsenal. The key is to just go back to our objectives and mission.”
Former Pampanga Governor Fr. Among Ed Panlilio (speaking to his supporters):
“My spirit is uplifted by your support. After reflection, I realized that my life has higher purpose. As a father of this province, I promise to become a good servant. For years, we’ve seen our people burdened by the cross of poverty. Through unity and fellowship to one another, I know we will overcome the evils of corruption that afflict Pampanga for decades. Join me in celebration for a new life in the province. Let us not show fear to those who may coerce us but let our good will be done.”





No comments:

Post a Comment